Monday, July 14, 2008

Price of Negligence .....


"Its high time to find out the details about the motor vehicle law atleast after one and a half years in US isnt it". Thats was the answer my conscience had, for my question "Why Why Why!!!". More details to follow. As you know (if you had read my previous blogs) me and my friend together bought the car. We decided to register the car in both our name, which was the reason for all these. She has gone back in June; so instead of transfering the owership completely to myself I have continued to have the co ownership and cancelled her insurence. I had never imagined the Motor Vehicle Administration to send me a mail yesterday asking for the proof for insurence on the vehicle by owners. They even mentioned the gravity of the situation; which was 150$ for the first 30days, then 7$ per day till I surrender the plates. Holy Cow!!! Life is fucked by MVA tooo now. So tomo I will end up registering the car in my name paying the 200$ tax and 128$ for new registration and the fine (which I have not yet calculated as 7$ thingI is variable till I return the plates or add my returned friend in the insurance). But in my Orkut today's fortune was so motivating; it said "Serious trouble will bypass you!" But as of now the trouble landed right on my head. I am brainstorming all the ideas, permutations calculations and escape routes.... to find the least expensive and permanant solution to this. While I am typing this one small hope has struck on me which is - if I am surrendering the plates and returning the registration, may be I can ask them to weive off the penalty. But this also sound good only to me, rest all depends on the Orkut bhagvan who said it will by pass me.
There was another trouble bypassed me some time back; which was the emission test - again the MVA; for which I have never received the letter asking me to go for it. But there I have acted proactively to go and enquire. At first they said my car was never tested for emission and including the cumilative fines it is 350$. I was shocked as if I was put in the mens dressing room in miamI beach. But later I spoke to the manager and he found out that I dont awe all that money, he asked me to come only in december. So if Orkut bhagvan is talking about that trouble, it has already bypassed.
I have never thought there is a catch like this from DMV. I am publishing this in my blog so that at least some one reading this will be pro active.
Recent update from http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content31331.aspx says that it might not affect me. I can still drive the car with out paying the fine as the lapse of insurance is only for my friend. She can not register a car in her name in US if I am not paying this fine now. So I will ask her whether I need to do that. Oh god this is the last chance; will the trouble bypass me ???
Let me see ...
The picture is of the Virginia Beach Fishing Pier in the evening of July 5th. When VA beach was honored by three Rajagirian's visit. I have done little editing to increase shadows in Picasa.


07/16 Latest update: I have registered the car in my name; spoke to the person at DMV he said there might not be any problem for me as there was at least one insurance that point of time on the car. So I am happy at the end as of now.


No comments: