Monday, March 9, 2009

Commuting in Chennai....

If you have ever been to Chennai you wouldn't have missed the funny shaped share autos. They look like a box on four relatively very small tyres. They will be taking some 12 people at a time. (some times nearly 15). Though some people find it disgusting to enter the vehicle, sharing the sweaty seats touching other sweaty people; I find the journey in share auto interesting. I have found very interesting people while travelling in share auto, some moments were really funny. its a cheap way of commuting too. I always choose share auto as my primary commuting means wherever possible. Share auto drivers are very mean fellows and they just try to fit in as many people inside as possible. This weekend I was sitting inside a fully occupied share auto and the driver stopped the auto for a very old lady. He asked her to sit some where till it reaches the next stop. She couldn't find any place other than an young lady's lap :) she didn't even turn back to see whether she is ready to take her on lap or not.. I tried hard to control my laughter. The young lady was so confused what to do and the old lady sat very comfortably, and I could no longer control my laughter...


Its not very rare the share auto guys get swearings from other drivers. Driving in Chennai can be absolutely unpredictable. its a total chaos. People never stop at red signal, they don't wait for the signal to turn green to start moving either. They over takes from all the sides and in all driving conditions you can imagine. intersections are very dangerous, the way other side traffic take over the on going traffic is unbelievable. They just keep coming to the middle of the road and makes the space for the coming traffic narrower. And the coming traffic never stops until there is absolutely no space any where to cross. OH GOD. This can never get better, the population and the number of vehicles keep increasing

I just wonder why no one wants to better the way of their living by adhering to traffic rules and keeping surroundings clean....

4 comments:

MadV said...

Eh?! Chennai not so clean and very congested right? You U.S returned? Don't be so mean. :-)

I'm sure that you must have missed the warmth that the mother country offers at least when you hit the foreign land.

Deepu said...

Hey, Chennai is not clean and very congested if i were looking with only the eyes of a US return. But I could understand there are things which can not be changed bacause of the population, but I was talking about the things we can.
Yes I missed mother country when I were in US. But unfortunately, very unfortunately I miss US now. Don't think I am mean, I love my country because the people I love are here. I am not very much of a patriotic type as I don't believe in things you have not chosen. I am being frank! :)
Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

yeah where we go and whatever we will become we should not forget our mother just like that we should not forget our motherland...only if we look through an ordinary persons eye we will see the suffering of a person who lives ina indian city.this is reality of life and not the living in airconditioned rooms.
and ofcourse we each should change then only the surroundings also change.anyway jiyo life!!!

Deepu said...

Thank you. I just found that there were so many grammatical mistakes in the post. Just corrected them. I don't believe in any boundaries, for me people are the boundaries; I am proud of my ability to judge what is right and what is not, being a christian and being with the people i love. :) proud of something to which we don't contribute........ is not some thing i feel proud of !