Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sometimes you just need to ask...

I was having this regular periodic down times today. I don't know what made me to be like that, but I guess it because of the lack of work I am experiencing for the couple of days. I have been checking so many websites where people have been so passionate about stuff they do. Their success and my inferiority and the unwillingness to pursue my dreams could have made me to be like that.


I was just thinking about why I am like that. Me and my friend did a brainstorming about my laziness(?). My arguments were these - being a single child I never had to ask for anything, never had to fight for things. I never had to learn the art of persuasion. She was asking me that (she is also a single child) how come she is not like that. Anyhow in my case the argument was valid, my personality and character was built around our small family. I never bend my knees for favours or even ask for things someone taking away from me. I know I can not survive this world like that. Even to ask for release from the project or asking another challenging position has not been an option to me. I was always been reluctant in participating in something which would fail me. I have a fear of rejection. I have to get rid of that...


I recently read the "Last Lecture" book as I have wrote in the previous blog. In that, one of the chapter was about this - 'some times you just need to ask'. Isn't that true, many of us especially me are reluctant to ask for things. I'd experienced the first thing in the hard way in my love life too. Some times some one would be just waiting for you to ask for something, some times you would be surprised by the things some one asks you but still you would love to say YES. It could be asking for directions, asking for a seat, asking for release from project, asking for a snap, asking for an opportunity, asking for even a lift. In 80% (citation needed :) ) the reply you get is going to be YES. Then why not ask.


I have taken a decision to try my luck with asking for things.. and you?

7 comments:

Tanu said...

dude its not enough to ask!! you got to fight for what you want!! :)

Deepu said...

that may turn the other way chan. why do you have to fight if it requires only asking :)

gradedexposure said...

deepu,
for a good soul like you i think asking itself is a big step..lets try that first :) go for it hon!

Mohan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mohan said...

Deepu why go to the "Last Lecture", pbly your "First Book" asked you to ask much earlier.

remember Matthew 7:7-8?
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek; and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

but be careful abt what u ask for, because you WILL get it.
:)

Raji said...

Learn to say no is what I am working on right now. Be it pushing back things to clients or at personal front. And yes I quickly agree we gotto fight for things or at the minimum ask. But staying in a western country demands everything to be 'do it yourself'!!

Deepu said...

Unfortunately in my case I have to ask for work andso many things. Art of saying no i think I have learned to an extend now. And having the mask of an attitude that was there in another blog I think. In my work place here I got to ask more things I am not at all loaded I got to ask for work :( so you are working for oracle or working with oracle from somewhere else?